Thursday, April 27, 2006

 

Instruments: Wilson


Well, today Wilson had to get new strings put on. I bought the strings and a peg winder at the Jam Factory and thought I'd try my hand at putting them on myself.

The first try was a failure. I couldn't get the little pegs out that hold the strings across the bridge. Besides that, I didn't have any wire cutters.

I got on email and whined to a fellow musician friend of mine and then felt better.

At the next music session, he showed up with a peg winder and a pair of wire cutters for me to borrow. He showed me how the peg winder also had a little tool on the end to use for removing the pegs so you can get your strings off. Genuious! (a little embarrassed that I hadn't figured it out)

I sat down today and took the first string off. The peg came out, the string unwound, I put the new one on and wound it up. Then realized I had wound it the wrong direction. I thought about leaving it ... then decided not to. I unwound it and wound it the correct direction ... and ... "boink" ... it broke. Dang it!!!

Now having figured out the correct procedure to follow, I went ahead and changed the other strings. It went just fine ... no problems.

Then I had to make an emergency run to the music store here in town to get another E string. We have music session tonight you see, and must have a string!!!!

I got home and put it on. I've got the guitar all tuned up and ready to go. Strings never stay in tune right when you put them on. They have to have time to stretch. I'll just keep the tuner on it and tune between songs. Preferrably I'll be playing my fiddle and it won't matter ... but ... I take the guitar and if we're short guitar players I play the guitar instead. It's fun for me either way!!!

So, be proud of me ... ooze enthusiasm ... I just changed my own guitar strings for the very first time!!! I always take my instruments into the music store and they put the strings on for me.

Yeah me!!! Go girl!!! Yeehaw!!! (That's just me giving myself a pep rally and being excited!!)

Talk to you later.

Ava

Comments:
Good for you. We are woman -we can do anything - well almost.
Thanks for your comments on my posts.
 
I am woman watch me ROAR.
Yeah...we can do anything if we put our minds to it!...right?

Didn't you feel good about changing those guitar strings? Next it'll be the mandolin, fiddle, violin....and... What else has strings?
 
That's right!! ROAR!!! GRRRR!!!! Watch out, here I come walking down the street and you just might get whiplash!!!

(I'm not even sure what that means!)

Yes it felt very good to accomplish that all on my own!!

And don't forget my cello ... it has strings!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?