Saturday, May 20, 2006

 

Music: La Prairie Music

Well, I was supposed to be out at La Prairie, IL Community Building at 6:00pm tonight to "meet and greet" a new band I was auditioning for.

Well ... I got lost. I ended up being 45 minutes late. But still there 15 minutes before the dance started. They told me to go ahead and join them, so I did.

They are called the Buggy Wheel Opry and they sing old time country and gospel standards. They're all in their late 50's, 60's and 70's ... but they liked me ... so I'm in. I am the newest member of the Buggy Wheel Opry. (big smile) They've played together for 20 years. I was told that a couple of their band members passed away. I wasn't aware that it was just three weeks ago. They and the audience were still sad. It was someone in the audience who told me.
They play and host a dance every first and third Saturday night. There was quite a crowd and lots of people danced. They applauded my fiddling and singing. I even went out and brought in the mandolin. When they found out that I also play the banjo ... they called me a one man band. I'm not though ... just like to play. I had so much fun. SO much fun.

It did make me homesick for my family though. I've played in a family band since I was big enough to try. My grandparents, who are gone now, my dad and all of my aunts and uncles. I almost cried right in the middle of someone's song tonight ... just thinking of Grandma and Grandpa and my family. But, I got through it okay.

The out house wasn't as scarey as I was afraid it would be. I had my flashlight with me of course!! There was a light inside the out house so it wasn't too bad.

One of the guys couldn't see his music to sing, so I took my flashlight over, stood behind him and shined it on his music while he sang. No, I wasn't being obnoxious ... he asked me to do it. It was fun.

So, I got WAY lost, asked for directions, made it to where I was going, officially joined the band, had a ton of fun and made a lot of new friends.

It was a good day.

Comments:
Gator aide huh? Nice going.

One comment fits all posts.

ttyl
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?