Friday, June 23, 2006

 

Ely Opry:

Well, at 8:30 I hopped in the car and headed out to Ely, Mo. It had been raining. There were storm watches in areas close to us, but the radar showed that it had passed over us. I had decided that if it wasn't raining when we were finished at La Gondola, then I was going to go ahead and head out to Ely. I was really missing my friends out there!! Missing two weeks due to my foot surgery had made me very sad.

Anyway, headed out of town ... got about half way there ... and began to wonder if I'd made the right decision. The sky was looking pretty nasty in areas. I took a deep breath ... and gave it a little more gas!!!!

Got there just fine. I had a great time. I was able to stand and play most of the time. I'm not sure what got into me, but I decided that I was in a harmony mood. I was playing along on my fiddle with Doug and John ... then broke into harmony. You should have seen John's eyes!!! I wasn't sure if he liked it or not ... and then he smiled. I pretty much played harmony all evening long. It was fun for me.

Doug is really doing well on his fiddle and the three of us together sounded pretty darned good!!!!

Oh ... remember the fiddler last weekend who made me cry???? Well ... we "trashed" him a little bit ... okay ... we "trashed" him a lot ... I know ... I know ... but they brought it up!!!!!

I am so glad I've had the opportunity to play music with them out there. It's a 45 minute drive each way and I smile all the way there and all the way home again!!!

Oh, guess what!!!!!!!!!!

I'm refreshing my yodeling skills!!!!!! Many moons ago (that's indian talk for many years ago ... in case you didn't know) my Grandfather taught me how to yodel. Yes ... yes ... I'm a closet yodeler. Yet another thing that you did not know about me. Anyway ... "In the Jailhouse Now" is one of the songs on my list to learn and it has yodeling in it. I yodeled all the way to Ely this week!!!! It was great! However ... before I yodel in front of anyone ... I will have to practice ... practice ... practice!!!! I have to tell you ... it will take all the nerve I've got to yodel in front of anyone!

Anyone out there familiar with the song, "Indian War-Hoop"? Yeah ... I'm working on that one too. It's on the tape that Doug gave me. At first it really got on my nerves ... but it's growing on me. Sondra and I listened to it in the car on the way home from Hannibal this afternoon.

Well ... I've been so long winded I'm going to have to go get a cream soda (which is my favorite drink) before I croak!!! Be right back ...

Mmmmm .... that's better.

Okay, where was I??? Oh yes, "Indian War-Hoop". I did some "hooping" in the car for Sondra and she laughed at me. It's okay ... I was laughing at me too!!!! It's actually harder to do than it sounds. Anyway ... I'm having fun with it.

Oh ... due to the storms ... there were no stars to gaze upon. I was very sad. Several of us went out and looked and we couldn't find a single one. Too cloudy. Oh well, there will be other times.

Oh, when I first got there one of the does brought her baby up to the fence and talked to me. They weren't close enough to touch, but I stood there at the fence and talked with her for about five minutes before I went in. Oh, in case you didn't know, they raise deer. I'm not sure what kind they are. They're very small. Very cute!

Comments:
Sounds like you had a lot of fun yodeling an whooping - nothing like a nice whoop to get you going. When I was younger I could yodel a little now that age and my lungs have gone I have to be content to listen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?