Sunday, July 23, 2006

 

General:

Wow!

I am tired!

Got up at 8:00,
practiced the organ for church,
left for church at 9:10.

Played street music in Hannibal this afternoon.

My fingers are so sore that I could just cry.
I soaked them in Udder Balm this evening and it helped some.

We met lots of people this afternoon. Everyone was very friendly.
Especially the bikers.

I always get a kick out of the little kids who make their parents stop and listen to us play. Sometimes the kids just listen, wide eyed and smiling... and other times they dance. They just can't seem to contain their excitement or energy. Wish I had energy like that again!

One guy even bowed to us when we finished one song. I think it was after my rendition of Ragtime Annie. It was hilarious!!! I bowed back! We had several rounds of applause today ... that's always nice to hear. Lots of smiles.

I'm developing the art of being able to talk to people while I'm playing. It's much harder than it sounds. We're not allowed to use music on the street, so we're relying on our brains. Let me tell you, one little distraction ... and it's over. However, you can't be that way on the street. Too many people want to talk to you and ask you questions. We get a lot of comments on Sondra's mandolin and a lot of people wanting to know the names of songs. I can now say hello, thank you, hello again, goodbye, have fun as well as tell people where the bathroom is and a good place to eat! Yes, sometimes I have to stop, but sometimes I can keep on going.

We saw Chris and Melanie for a little bit when we were finished playing today.

Got home and showered. Let me tell you what, after two days of street playing my costume had developed a life of it's own ... and boy ... was it ever smelly!!!!! Whew! There's nothing like playing the fiddle or guitar with sweat rolling down your back. Yuck.

Spent the rest of the evening on the couch. I crocheted for a little bit. Then watched Funniest Videos, Cold Case and Without a Trace while curled up on the couch under an afghan. It was very relaxing.

It was a good day.






Comments:
Hope your fingers feel better.
What do you mean about not using music on the street?
You must really get a kick out of the kids - the have no inhibitions that prevent them from busting out in dance.
Your barn pictures were nice too.
 
Thanks Sandy, my fingers are feeling much better this morning. Not using music on the street? Everything we play has to be memorized ... can't be looking at music or have any sitting out. It's just us ... our instruments ... and our memories!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?