Friday, July 21, 2006

 

Quincy Session, Music:

Last night we had a fabulous session at La Gondola!
We had fourteen musicians there!!!!

John joined us for the very first time from Ursa.
Joe joined us for the very first time from Hannibal.
We play with Joe at the Hannibal session on Monday nights.
Samantha joined us with her accordion ... we also play with her at the Hannibal session.

The players tonight were me on fiddle ... Joann on Irish whistle ... Tony on flute, Irish whistle and fiddle ... Jeannie on percussion ... Don on string bass ... Larry on fiddle ... Lisa on fiddle ... Dave on guitar ... John on guitar ... Rae on percussion (for the third week in a row!!) ... Sondra on banjo and mandolin ... Andrew on fiddle and mandolin ... Joe on guitar (he plays a twelve string guitar) ... and Samantha on accordion.

For some reason, I threatened Joe with my bow
and while bringing it back over to my fiddle,
I managed to poke myself right in the eye with it!
Ouch!
Then, not twenty minutes later I poked the same eye again with my finger!
Double Ouch!

We got lots of compliments on the music tonight.
Having a nice full set of musicians sure makes a huge difference.
When the session was over,
Dave said, "Well Ava, no crying at this session!"
I've probably already told you before,
But when we first started this session,
it was just the three of us girls
(me, Joann and Sondra)
We played all alone for a while and it was horrible.
We cried every night when it was over.
But we kept it up in hopes that it would grow and blossom into a full session.

Well,
last night was the night!
It was wonderful!
A great session!
No more crying!!!!!!

Steve, the piper who is moving here from Austin
will be teaching us some new Irish tunes when he gets here.
We're all looking forward to that.
One of the first ones we are going to learn is "Mary's Wedding".
It's one of Rae's favorites and we're excited to learn it for her.

Thanks to everyone for making it such a great night!



Comments:
I love that kind of music. It is really great that you are able to get a group like that together. I really envy people who have musical talent. Unfortunately I have none at all. :)
 
Oh, you just need a fun group to play with and you'd discover that you have tons of gumption and would learn amazing things!!!! That's all it takes! That's what motivated me to learn new instruments and branch out. Fun, fun, fun, fun!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?