Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

Ely Opry:



Okay ...
I did a no no.

I'm writing this post two days after the fact, which means there is most likely something or someone that I will forget. Please accept my apologies now. You know I love you all!!

Let's see ...

Where to start ...

(imagine the wavy vision they have on tv when looking back in time)

wavy ... wavy ... wavy ... wavy ...

----
----
----

Well, I left the Quincy session early at 8:00 and got to Ely early. I don't know if anyone noticed that or not but I was eager to get there!

I just love this group of people. They are so sweet, genuine, fun, inspiring, funny, comical, mouthy ( I fit right in) and I find myself just looking forward to seeing them and playing music
all week. Here it is only Saturday night and I'm sitting here missing them all.

Anyway ...

First thing when I got there here came Little Jessie with his fiddle. Now Jessie ... in case you're reading this ... I know you're not little. This is just how I'm telling the difference between you and the other Jessie. Less confusion ...

Anyway, here he came! He played everything for me that I gave him to work on last week and did it so well!!!! I was so proud of him! I asked him if he would like to learn to read notes as well as play by ear and he said yes, so I loaned him one of my books to study from. We went over the first few pages together and assigned him some to work on. Before he left that night, he already had part of it memorized!! I think he's motivated!! That's awesome!

Then I saw Kyle. Kyle has his driver's permit and he let me look at it. We always just got a sheet of paper with a form on it that we had to carry in our wallets and purses to show that we were legal to practice driving. Now they actually get a regular ID, just like a driver's license. It was awesome! Of course, he covered up his weight so I'm not quite sure how much he weighs, but he had a great picture! I told him that if he was going to cover up his weight, he probably ought to cover up his age too. That's what I would do if I were showing him mine!!!
He did!
He is so funny!!!

Kyle,
are you listening?
You and I have a date to sing next time. I have a ton of gospel in my book and I love singing with you.

Let's see, then I offered to give Dorothy a fiddle lesson, but she didn't need one.

I met Ellis for the first time.
I sure hope that I spelled that right!
I've seen him there before but we hadn't officially introduced ourselves to eachother. What a sweetheart! He also has his driver's permit and showed me his. He had a great picture too. I found out that he used to play the saxophone. We have that in common. I haven't played mine in so long I've probably forgotten how to even blow in it. I'm serious! It was a year ago that I picked up my Irish Whistle for the first time and now all I play are the whistle, fiddle, mandolin, tenor banjo and my guitar. Well, of course the piano and organ ...
Anyway, we talked about saxophones for a little bit and then I went to play my fiddle.

So, who was there? Let's see ... Ashely ... Bill ... Dorothy ... Doug ... Jessie ... Patty ... Del ... Deann ... Jim ... William ... Little Jessie ... Me ... Danny ... Peggy ... Wes ... Lorri ... Dick ... Allan ... Greg ... Don ... Jeanie ... Wes Jr ... Anita ... Bert ... I think Dan was there ... John ... Kyle ... Bert's husband ... Ellis ... and I'm sure there were others whom I have left off and there were some there that I didn't know.

Everyone mentioned to me how quick Doug is learning the tenor banjo. I really enjoy playing with Doug. He's learning the fiddle and the banjo so fast that he inspires me. He's doing very well. I gave him some new music that he can work on if he wants. I didn't give it to anyone else so I'll probably end up in trouble. Yikes!

William had been working on his van and had just gotten it fixed that day. I forget where he was headed, but I think they had a show to go to this weekend.

Little Jessie listened to us playing. It won't be long until he is right in there with us. I told him that I'd have some new music for him to work on next time.

Danny let me play one of his guitars while I was singing. That man has NICE guitars. Wow!

Lorri and I sang Walkin After Midnight together.

Dick told me quite a little story about John and Wes!!!!
You'll never know!

Allan has just about mastered Soldier's Joy on his mandolin. I was watching him when he didn't know it and he was doing great!

You know, I just thought of another reason I like it so much out here. No one tries to out do anyone ... we just all play together and have fun. I really enjoy that.

Don had his little uke banjo with him. It was SO cute!!!! SO little!!!!

Anita played The Chicken Reel with me on her harmonica. Awesome, girl!!!! I would probably only last about three seconds on the harmonica before I was out breath and turning red. She just goes and goes and goes. She plays wonderfully.

Bert showed me the lyrics to I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and now I've been singing that all weekend. It has a wonderful chord progression that is just so sad! But beautiful!!!
Maybe we can sing it together?

And then there was John. When you get John, Doug and I in there on our fiddles, they sound so good together. John doesn't mind me drifting off into harmony and I love doing that. Sometimes I can make it sound good and sometimes I flop but it's fun anyway.

I saw Kyle playing the banjo that night. He plays the guitar too. Does he play the mandolin? I can't remember. All I know is he told me that he only hangs out with cute girls, so since he was hanging out with me for a little bit, I could assume I'm cute!!!!!
Whew Hoo!!!!!!
I'm cute!

You know, a girl just needs to hear that every once in a while.

Well, I appear to have gone on and on and on and on ...
I know I've left something out.

I was going to take the telescope but it was cloudy all day so I didn't. It ended up being pretty clear and there were lots of stars.
Oh well.

I'll wrap it up.
Love you all!!!!







Comments:
I enjoy so much hearing about your musical adventures. And the teaching as well.

I can play piano by note or by ear. By ear is more fun but it helps a lot to know both.
 
I'm not as talented as granny, but I can play the radio when I have a mind to. :)

All kidding aside...I think that you are an inpiration to your students and You & Sondra sound like you make a good team as well as all your friends at Ely Opry.
 
Hi Granny!
I don't think you've told me before that you can play piano!!! When I was so sick twelve years ago playing the piano is what got me out of bed for a little while each day. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Hi Pasadena!
Playing the radio is a wonderful talent!!!! Thank you for the compliment. Music isn't just music to me ... it's my life and it makes me happy. I hope that comes through. Yes, Sondra and I have made a perfect team. We know eachother well, we know our music well, we can read eachother's looks, and if something "happens" we're able to adapt and keep on going. Sometimes those things are hard to do, but not with the two of us. In fact, we're so in tune together that most people think we are mother and daughter until we tell them differently. And I love my opry group. I get to play with them this afternoon!!!
 
Hi Kyle!

And ditto!!! Will I see you Thursday now that school has started and are you going to sing with me????
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?