Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Hannibal Music Session



Hello there everyone! I hope that you all are doing well. I just got home from the Hannibal session. We were a bit of a thin group this evening, but we still made some good music.

Let's see who was there ... Larry on fiddle and guitar ... Chris on tenor banjo ... Ian on guitar ... Lisa on fiddle ... Don on bass ... Jeanie just listened tonight ... Andrew on banjo and mandolin ... Sondra on banjo and mandolin ... me fiddle and tenor banjo ... Joann on whistle ... Dwain on guitar ... Dave on guitar ... Sarah on bass and whistle ... Dale on guitar ... Robert on fiddle ... Tony on flute, whistle and fiddle ... Kevin on percussion ... Rob on percussion ... John on guitar ... Wade on percussion ... the two drummer girls ... and I think that's it for musicians.

Tonight was Andrew's birthday. Happy birthday!!!!!

I was glad to see Dwain, we missed him last week. We hadn't seen Robert in what seems like a long time either. I was glad to see Kevin there ... missed him last week.

Kevin noticed that I've lost weight. That was nice! I've been working hard at it, but I've lost all I care to loose. I hope to just stay where I'm at right now.

I missed Doug, Beverly, Clayton, Elizabeth (where are you?), Bill, Ned, Fred, Paul, Evelyn H, Charlie, Harry and Ellen, Sarah on tambourine and anyone else who was missing.

Evelyn and Bob had family with them tonight and I got to meet their son, daughter and grandson. Noel and Mary Jo were there and Suzie. Lydia and Maddie and Wade's son. LA stopped in for a few minutes. Melanie stopped in for Andrew's birthday surprise and then went back to sewing club. She had four ladies there this evening. Dale and Adam were there and Michelle. I think that covers everyone in the audience that I knew.

Adam took me for a ride in his new mustang convertible. Wow! I was surprised at what a smooth ride it was. The 90's version of mustang rode terribly. Way too bumpy. I figured these new ones had the looks without the handling. Wrong. What a smooth ride! It was also very roomy inside. For those who don't know who Adam is, I've told you about him before. He's 15 and one of the best guitar players that I know. I told him tonight that, as a teacher, I consider him gifted and don't ever want him to quit playing. I sang with him for a while and we could get some good blues going.

My dream car is a 72 metallic emerald green mustang convertible. Oh baby!! Maybe I'll have one some day.

There was a construction crew there this evening and one of them is learning the five string banjo. I invited them to go out to Ely on Thursday and meet some of the banjo players out there, but I don't know if they are or not. He said that he's just learning.

George was there and wants me to post my potato cakes recipe. I will, but I'm also going to get Merle's as well. It would be interesting to see if we all do it differently. Mmmm ... potato cakes!

I talked to Thelma for just a little bit. She is so sweet. I'm just thrilled to have her and John coming to session.

Don and Jeanie invited me to come and eat some bread sticks with them, but I got side tracked by a piano player. Sorry guys.

We met a man while playing street music on Sunday who is a jazz pianist and organist. Oh my, would I ever love to listen to him play. He came to session tonight and gave me a jazz piano lesson that I'm going to work on tomorrow morning. He invited me to come and sit in on a set with the band, but there's no way I can do that just yet. I told him what they taught me when I studied jazz piano in college and a few seminars. He told me to forget all of that and he showed me what to do. So here we are, the two of us sitting at a table, pretending to play the piano so I can see how to place my fingers the right way. Our hands moving up and down the keyboard in half steps, pretending to reach up for the black keys and back down again for the white keys ... making our shoulder movements ... moving up and down the table just like we would the piano keys. We got a few "looks", but who cares!!! It was fun!! He taught me the "17359" method and he says that's all I need to know to get going. Bill Morrison is his name and I sure hope that he comes back and teaches me some more!!!! I'll let you know how my practicing goes.

Well, I'm tired and headed to bed. It was a long weekend. Street music on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and played with Ely Sunday afternoon and evening. I let myself get dehydrated and I'm trying to recoup. I'm still not up to par, but getting there.

Hope you all had a great Monday and those who were missing know that you were missed and hope you're back next week.

Until then ...

Always remember to forget
The things that made you sad.
But never forget to remember
The things that made you glad.

Love you all!




Comments:
Can you get a permit or a driver's license when you're 15 there? You said Adam was 15 and that he took you for a ride in his convertable.
 
No, you have to be 16, but you can get a driver's permit when you're 15 and drive as long as you have a licensed driver over the age of 21 with you. I had to run out to the blazer and get my purse before we went on that drive!! He was a very good driver.
 
Sorry that I missed the Hannibal Jam last night. If I had known there was going to be a birthday celebration, I might have made a better effort to be there. But instead I was at home doing work for church. It's a busy week as we get ready for the 140th at Monroe City. Glad to hear it was a good time, even though the group was "thin". Of course, if I had been there, that would have made the group a little "fatter"! :-)
 
Hey Clayton!!! You were missed! The group was pretty laid back last night which doesn't happen often. It was very pleasant. I got to talk to a lot of people that I don't always get to and I enjoyed that. I was tired but made it to the end. I'm still working on recovering from getting dehydrated. Hope to see you soon!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?