Wednesday, August 23, 2006

 

Science Explosions



One of my students was at piano lesson on Monday and was telling me about some of his science experiments that he's been doing. He also has a friend who comes over and they do these together just for fun. My student is 7 or 8 years old.

He was telling me about mixing baking soda and vinegar. His favorite thing to do it blowing up plastic soda bottles. His most used technique is mixing the baking soda and vinegar ... shaking it up ... and then throwing it. It was quite interesting hearing him tell it and seeing how excited he was about it.

He said that if you use a wine bottle, the cork will shoot off just like a rocket. He told me the best technique for the wine bottle is to dig a hole in the ground to sit the bottle in so that the cork goes straight up.

Now here's one for you ...
Mentos Candy.

The recipe:

A two liter bottle of soda and an entire roll of Mentos Candy.
Open the bottom of the roll and let all of the candy drop in at once.
Run.
He said that it just takes a few seconds for it to react by shooting up like a fountain.
Sounds very cool to me. I'm going to have to try it!




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?